The first phase of the 1500 MW Aliabad Power Plant, Golestan, came into operation in 2010 in six gas units. The construction of the plant was conducted to encourage, attract and support non-governmental investment in the power sector as well as to maximally use indigenous engineering capabilities and improve technical knowledge in the construction of power plants using the BOO method. Considering the country’s electricity consumption growth and the Department of Energy’s policies to increase the share of combined cycle power plants, the development of this plant was put on the agenda in 2014. Converting gas power plants to combined cycle units increases the power efficiency of these power plants from about 33 to 47 percent. The plant is located in Aliabad Katool city, Golestan Province.
Azarakhsh power generation company is ready to provide electricity for applicants wholesale or retail.
• Six gas units (v94.2) with a total capacity of 972 MW
• 334 million euros of investment (phase one)
• Operation date: 2010
• Contractor: The Mapna Group
• Consultant: Ghods Niroo Engineering Company
• Three 160 MW steam units with a total capacity of 480 MW and converting it to a combined cycle power plant
• 420 million euros of investment estimated (phase two)